In health care, we measure everything — from vital signs to lab values, to pain scale responses, satisfaction, and more — to provide effective care and to study how to improve health outcomes going forward. The volume of data for clinical, research, and business purposes is vast, and making good use of it requires a team effort.
The Tiger Institute partners with our MU Health analytics team to enable data-driven decision-making. Our goal is to enable data-driven decision-making through the use of high-quality, transparent, and best in class tools.
Building a Culture of Enterprise Analytics
MU Health CFO, Brian Steines is championing the priority of Enterprise Analytics. This includes infrastructure (people, processes, and tools) that is governed, transparent, centralized and distributive. As such, the availability of high-quality data is becoming a central priority of the Tiger Institute.
Toward this end, this year, we are developing and executing against a strategic roadmap with three keys to long-term success:
- Align closely with our business partners on an Enterprise Analytics plan that breaks down silos and promotes a culture of data transparency and governance
- Leverage local existing Enterprise Data assets and Cerner’s big data technology, best-in-breed Business Intelligence and Analytics tools, and client network to develop data tools and content in identified strategic subject areas
- Leverage the Tiger Institute partnership in a “go-fast” strategy to make sure we stay ahead of our peers
A single access point for scorecards, dashboards
The Performance Portal provides a single access point for balanced scorecards and dashboards to facilitate operational reviews. Built on our cloud-based, data aggregation and analysis tool (Enterprise Data Warehouse), this portal tracks more than 885 key performance indicators (KPIs) as identified by MU Health leaders. Our business leaders use the portal to monitor and manage performance, and to identify opportunities for improvement.
We upgraded the portal in 2016 with the following improvements:
- Enhanced usability with integrated tutorials
- Increased speed (300% improvement)
- Included options to print or export to PDF or Excel
- Improved the drill-down capability on measures
- Integrated a single location to access reports from many sources and systems (My Reports)
For more information on the Performance Portal, click here.
Organized reports for managers
Our managers are using Cerner’s reporting solution, Operational Reports, to support day-to-day operations of a clinical department or group. We develop the standardized content to meet reporting and analytic needs through model reports and real-time dashboards. Model reports are pre-built for specific areas. Real-time dashboards display key data used to drive daily operations. MU Health Care currently has more than 140 new reports available for use in 10 solution areas. New in 2016 were Women’s Health, Behavioral Health, and Long Term Care.
Leveraging the data
Operational Reports allow users to leverage data to improve processes and outcomes. Standard reports support numerous performance improvement initiatives:
- Emergency Department Reports allow for surveillance and peer review in quality improvement projects. Identification of daily trends directly impacts operations.
- Medication prescription reports allow Internal Medicine physicians to monitor and combat opiate abuse.
- Medication History and Reconciliation for current inpatients supported an improvement project to increase the percentage of reconciliations completed by physicians within 24 hours of admission.
Deliver claims reporting for Coventry, United, and Anthem.
Adopting the PowerChart Physician Handoff tool as the system-wide standardized method for completing patient handoffs with a focus, at this point in time, of using the primary contact feature. Improving communication between care team members with fewer phone calls to locate physicians caring for the patient.
View Archives by Category
- Connecting Missouri
- Delivering Results
- Empowering Wellness
- Executive Leadership
- FAQ Section
- Featured Posts
- Home Slider
View Archives by Date:
Click on a month to view all posts posted in that month.